AKA: “The Determinator”
As an Operations Specialist, Ashley provides overall administrative support VMSI's corporate office. Ashley joins VMSI with over 10 years of administrative service experience across many business verticals, which taught her how to pivot quickly to meet responsibilities. Ashley’s life and career experiences have left her very skilled in multitasking, meeting deadlines and the desire to create and implement processes and procedures that are repeatable.
Considered to be a highly self-motivated, extremely organized, and a go-getter, Ashley never finds any task to be too little or too large not to accomplish. “The Determinator” will always get the job done. She has the bright eyed and bushy tailed demeanor that spreads like wildfire amongst her colleagues and clients.
- Favorite College Football Team: University of Alabama “Roll Tide”
- Family Life: One of Eight Children
- Hobbies: Dancing, Singing & hanging with my friends and family
- Fun Fact: Ashley is also a licensed cosmetologist & loves kids!!
- Life Motto: Today’s possibility is tomorrow’s probability. Get It Done!!!
AKA: "The Ninja"
Kirsten joins the team with four years of administrative support and business operations experience as well as over eight years of customer relations and service industry support. As the Project Support Specialist, she will provide support and business advisory assistance to our Program Managers and VMSI’s Program Management Office (PMO) through assisting, tracking and managing all project components. Her love for lists and details, as well as past experience in administrative support roles, allows her to complete tasks with the quick precision, skill, and sharpness of a “Ninja”.
Kirsten grew up in Northern Virginia, where she attended Tuscarora High School and went on to Northern Virginia Community College while working full-time. After completion of her Associates, she transferred into an accredited online degree program through Western Governor’s University, where she will complete her BS in Business Administration and go on to complete her Masters as well. Kirsten is extremely passionate about helping others succeed, with a can-do attitude and mentality that nothing is too big or too small for her to tackle head-on! Kirsten loves combining her creative side and analytical abilities to find solutions and make sure every detail is covered as efficiently as possible. She is excited to utilize these skills to help VMSI continually be successful.
- Pets: Granger, a 100lb Great Dane/Bloodhound mix rescue dog
- Fun Fact: Aunt Kiki to four nephews and one niece (Cayden, Amy, Omar, Jaxon, and Adrian)
- Favorite TV Show: The Office (She can quote almost every episode!)
- Hobbies: Yoga, hiking, reading and painting (if she has time after all of her work and studying)
AKA: "Kitten Queen"
Maria brings over 15 years of combined human resources, benefits, recruiting, and office management experience to her role as Human Resources Manager with VMSI. Putting her HR-related experience to good use, Maria is responsible for a number of HR functions, including all payroll responsibilities – from timekeeping to tax-related reporting – and will partner with the Director, Human Resources in administering human resources programs that include Affirmative Action and EEO, benefits and compensation, employee onboarding, and regulatory compliance.
Experience in a variety of industries, including Inova Health Systems and a Washington, DC based law firm, has left Maria well-versed in working with internal and external clients in fast-paced, dynamic environments. Multi-tasking and organization has been a must – and skills that Maria’s embraced! Friendly and direct, Maria knows how to get the job done, a fact that’s reflected in her can-do attitude.
- Fun Fact: Attended T.C. Williams Highs School – the movie Remember the Titans was based on their football team in the 70’s (no, she didn’t attend during the years the movie was based on).
- Pets: Dixie – Corgi (Yes, the same type of dog the Queen has), Skittles (angel cat), and den mother to 1 million kittens (but really six)
- Fun things enjoyed: Movies, gardening, bunco, hanging with her guys (husband, two sons).
- Favorite Food: too many, but would say top choice is her husband’s BBQ.
AKA: “The Crackerjack”
As a Program Manager, Heather provides direct support to all VMSI customer engagements assisting VMSI’s corporate Program Management Office (PMO) to ensure service execution. In addition to her sunny disposition and can-do attitude, Heather brings over 10 years of experience in office management and administrative support.
Heather is used to wearing multiple hats and truly embodies the “Whatever—Whenever” mentality that VMSI stands for. Her hard work and dedication over the 6 years she spent at Safe Start Baby took her from being a part time Administrative Assistant, to the role of Vice President. Never hesitating to do whatever needed to be done, it was not out of character to find her donning a tool belt or conducting a babyproofing assessment herself if one of the field employees was out unexpectedly, in order to keep the commitment they had made to the client. Heather’s most recent experience as the sole Administrative Assistant at the Virginia Spine Institute for an Executive team of 8 and office of 70+ employees has bolstered her experience supporting multiple executives and providing support across multiple departments, while maintaining an efficient and smoothly running office. Heather’s experience and expertise make her a fantastic addition to our corporate team!
- Hometown: Grand Rapids Michigan. She’ll be happy to show you where on her hand it’s located!
- Food Dislikes/Likes: Dislikes all condiments (mustard, mayo, ketchup, etc). Loves pickles and chocolate. Not together though. That’s just gross.
- Describes her home as: A human pinball machine. Being the only female in her home amongst a husband, two sons, and 90 pound rescue boxer, she’s long forgotten what quiet sounds like.
- Travel Preferences: Anywhere warm with sand and saltwater. The rest is just details.
AKA: "The Executioner"
Laura joins VMSI with eight years of proposal writing experience supporting various Federal and civilian agencies. She is a highly accomplished and motivated proposal manager who has successfully led winning proposals in the $3M-$40B range. As the Senior Proposal Manager at VMSI, Laura ensures the delivery of compliant, professionally produced proposals within the customer defined time frames. Her job is to implement the proposal processes, assign tasks to be completed and make sure the proposal is relevant and accurate.
Laura grew up in Northern VA, attended Gar-Field Senior High School, and is currently working on her degree at Liberty University. Extremely detail-oriented and a stickler for following proposal processes and requirements, Laura takes great pride in every proposal she produces and has the “whatever it takes” attitude that has made VMSI so successful.
- Pets: Remy (Rabbit)
- Favorite College Football Team: The Ohio State University
- Favorite Ice Cream: Mint Chocolate Chip
- Hobbies: Playing and coaching soccer, trivia, reading, movies, and hanging out with my family and friends
AKA: "The Sniper"
Kiana joins the VMSI team with eight months of full cycle recruiting and government contracting experience. As a recruiter at VMSI, she will provide recruiting coverage for our program management and growth teams. As a recruiter, she loves the process of helping provide opportunities to qualified candidates.
Before Kiana began her recruiting career, she finished Grad school at Marshall University in her hometown of Huntington, West Virginia. While still in Grad school, she worked as the graduate assistant for the Marshall Women’s Basketball team, which included attending staff meetings, managing the recruiting database, and organizing correspondence. Kiana was able to successfully juggle school and work and complete her MBA in 2019.
- Kiana earned a full scholarship to play Division 1 basketball at Marshall University; she was the starting small forward/shooting guard for two years.
- She draws cartoon characters really well.
- Kiana has worked for former NBA coach, Dan Dantoni, and was also a server for a current NBA coach, Mike Dantoni, during his interview with Sports Illustrated.
- Kiana has no student loans!
AKA: "The Cheshire Cat"
As VP of Corporate Growth, Paige is responsible for overseeing all pre-award business development and proposal operations, strategic marketing initiatives, and fostering overall employee engagement. Her experience encompasses more than 20 years of writing, editing, marketing, proposal management, and graphic design for federal, commercial, municipal, and private sector markets.
Paige is no stranger to VMSI – she was formerly the Director of Proposal Development & Marketing, and returns to us after 2 successful years running her own consulting company.
During her diverse career, she’s managed hundreds of winning government proposals and brings extensive experience in all aspects of business and proposal operations, marketing, and the government acquisition lifecycle. Paige refined her leadership skills and community connections as a member of Leadership Prince William (LPW), and brings that excitement and skillset to the Corporate office.
Paige attended Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, CA, where she served as VP for the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society. An active participant in the local community, she was named the Acts Prince William County 2018 SA Services Volunteer of the Year, is a member of LPW Class of 2020 (#FirstToDiverse!), and was named a 2020 Prince William County Most Influential Woman.
- Fun Fact: Paige is the only member of the #VMSIFamily who is Facebook friends with Maria
- Hobbies: Designing and Fabricating complex stained glass panels. Ask her about OJ!
- From: Thailand. Yes, really.
- What she missed most while she was gone: Moo sneaking McNuggets, Heather pours, and Jax.
AKA: “The Jackie of All Trades”
Jackie brings over 20 years’ experience and dedication to her role as Vice President and Facility Security Officer. She provides full operational support to all corporate and remote employees to ensure individual and corporate success. With a role that touches all VMSI departments, she is an integral resource to all of our employees and customers providing support in all areas of operations: finance, government compliance, information technology, as well as industrial security and background screening. Jackie’s versatility in the small business and Government contracting industries allows VMSI to offer top-notch service and reliability to our stakeholders, customers and customer-facing employees
Jackie has supported small businesses for 20 years, including direct support of Government contractors for 11 years. Throughout her career she has balanced supporting multiple functions within an organization including Human Resources, Operations, Business Development, and offering ad hoc support wherever and whenever needed.
- Pet’s Names: Vinnie (angel pup), Crunch, & Frankie
- Favorite DC Museum: National Museum of Natural History
- Number of Siblings: Two
- Hobbies: Traveling, Movies, Disc Golf, Crafts, and Puzzles
AKA: “The Irishman”
Ken Konkol joined the VMSI Team in 2011 as the Vice President overseeing operations and delivery, and has since been promoted to CEO. As CEO, Ken is responsible for setting and overseeing VMSI’s strategic direction, establishing corporate policies and procedures, managing the overall business and financial performance of the company, and to ensure our mission, “To be the BEST DECISION our Clients make”, is unequivocally achieved. He has over 25 years of leadership and management consulting experience.
Ken, a service disable veteran, served over 21 years in the United States Air Force in an array of leadership positions managing and leading contracting teams worldwide. Additionally, his breadth of experience and knowledge spans across budget, finance, communications, and program management.
He concluded his distinguished Air Force career as the Superintendent and Senior Enlisted Advisor of the Resource Management Directorate at the White House Communications Agency where he was directly responsible for managing budget planning and execution, accounting, and contracting for this elite 1200-person agency. While serving at the White House, Ken’s leadership was instrumental in providing “Presidential Quality” support for this “no fail” environment directly supporting the President, Vice President, First Lady, Senior White House Staff, National Security Staff, United States Secret Service and White House Military Office.
Upon his retirement, Ken was inducted into the White House Communications Agency Hall of Fame, a recognition reserved for the best of the best, recognizing his unwavering support to the Agency for over 8 years. Additionally, Ken is a Commissioned Kentucky Colonel by the Governor of Kentucky for his noteworthy accomplishments and outstanding service to community, state and our nation.
- Funny Incident: Pardon the interruption…Accidently hit General David Petraeus with a door while working at the White House.
- Favorite Sports Team: Known to lurk Notre Dame Football tailgates dressed in a Leprechaun costume.
- Something Cool: Has 1.5 flight hours in the F-15 Eagle. “Sorry, Goose, but it’s time to buzz a tower.”
- Oh No!: Detained by the Omani Royal Police and lived to tell about it…. James Bond would have been proud!
AKA: “Mr. Socks”
Shane Moore, a service-disabled veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps served 4 years and was honorably-medically discharged as a Corporal. Shane studied at George Mason University for his undergraduate education in Management & Human Resources and ultimately continued on to advanced studies at the University of Virginia in Human Resources.
Prior to founding Veterans Management Services, Inc. (VMSI), Shane dedicated 10 years as the President of YRCI, a DC Based consulting practice which he sold in 2011 to start VMSI. Before joining YRCI, Shane founded GlobalTek, Inc., an Information Technology Staffing company in Northern Virginia that he sold in 2001.
When starting VMSI, Shane wanted to create a corporate culture where customer service was the paramount goal of each and every employee. Customer service, which started out as a way of doing business quickly became the bedrock from which VMSI’s culture was truly born and ultimately our corporate mission solidified: “To be the BEST DECISION our Clients make”.
Shane has found his greatest passion lies within providing opportunities for and helping our Veterans and has dedicated the past 15 years to donating and raising funds to support local Veteran assistance groups. Committed to “taking care of our own”, both Shane and VMSI focus outreach, fund raising and charitable giving exclusively on programs that benefit our U.S. Veterans with a focus on our Wounded Warriors. Additionally, Shane is proud and often heard bragging that over 50% of VMSI is made up of Veterans having served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- Favorite Past Time: Golf
- Pet’s Names: Jackie & Ellie
- Favorite Author: Khaled Hosseini
- Favorite Ice Cream: Vanilla with a waffle cone from Cold Stone Creamery